Prof Edward Christian KieswetterChairman of the Board
Professor Edward Christian Kieswetter completed his Industrial Instrumentation Apprenticeship at Athlone Technikon in 1981. He then went on to obtain his Electrical Engineering Diploma from CPUT in 1983, a postgraduate Diploma in Education (Engineering and Mathematics Ed) in 1986, and a B.Ed Honours (Mathematics and Science) from the University of the Western Cape (UWC) in 1988.
In 1991, he became an Academic Associate (Cognitive Development) at Harvard University. Prof Kieswetter then completed a M.S.Ed (Cognitive Development) at UWC in 1996, followed by an MBA from Henley UK in 2001, and M.Com (cum laude) from North West University (NWU) in 2007. Prof Kieswetter’s academic highlights include serving as a Visiting Professor at the Da Vinci Institute in 2016. In 2015, he was reappointed as Visiting Professor at the University of Free State (UFS).
His accolades include being named a Finalist in the All Africa Business Leaders Awards in 2015, co-founder of online business BetterWage.com, ACQ Africa Dealmaker of the Year 2014, Boss of the Year South Africa in 1999 and 2006, recipient of the Eskom Chairman’s Award in 1999, NOSA Exemplary Award in Safety Leadership in 1997 and National Productivity Institute Gold Award in 1997.
In Executive roles, Prof Kieswetter has served in the following roles:
- Group Chief Executive for the Alexander Forbes Group Holdings – 2010 to 2016
- Deputy Commissioner and Chief Operation Officer, South African Revenue Service (SARS) – 2004 to 2009
- Senior Executive & Director, In FirstRand Banking Group – 2000 to 2004
- Senior General Manager: Generation & Power Station Manager at ESKOM – 1992 to 2000
- Lecturer & Divisional Head – Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Athlone Technikon – 1984 to 1991
- Electronics & Instrumentation Engineer at Caltex Refinery, 1981 to 1983.
Professor Kieswetter also holds Non-Executive Board Roles as follows:
- Lead independent NED, Member: Remuneration Committee and Member: Nominations Committee – Shoprite
- President – Da Vinci Institute of Managerial Leadership
- NED and Investment Committee – GEMS Education Africa
has also held various Executive and Non-Executive roles during his career.