Dr Mzwandile MadikizelaBoard Member
Dr Mzwandile Madikizela’s career spans more than 25 years, with roles as Senior Research Scientist in
Biotechnology, Executive manager for Transnet’s Chemical Services unit, Environmental Technology Manager
at Sasol, Science Policy Researcher at High Impact Innovation, Biotechnology Advisor at the Technology
Innovation Agency, and a Consultant and Scientific Advisor at Onderstepoort Biological Products. He is
currently involved in the development of New Africa BioFuels, a start-up company that produces bio-ethanol
for use as an alternative fuel in transport fleets.
He completed his B.Sc Honours (Chemistry) at the University of Fort Hare in 1984. He obtained his M.Sc
(Biochemistry) and PhD (Biochemistry) from the University of Iowa in 1987 and 1992 respectively. He
graduated with an MBA from Wits Business School in 2000 and completed a Certificate in Technology
Management at the University of Pretoria in 2002.
Dr Madikizela has also received certificates in Technology Management, International Business Consulting,
Corporate Governance, Directorship and Board Effectiveness, among others.
Dr Madikizela is a member of the International Association for Management of Technology, IAMOT, the Institute
of Directors of Southern Africa (IoD), and the South African Research and Innovation Management Association
His leadership roles include:
• Member of the Finance and Investment Committee – ARC
• Director of Oil Pollution and Control South Africa – Central Energy Fund (CEF)
• Non-Executive Director – Onderstepoort Biological Products
• Acting chairperson and member of the Remuneration and R&D Board Committees – Ondersterpoort
• Former Board member – National Laboratory Association (NLA)
• Former working group member – ANC S&T
• Panel member – CSIR Excellence Award
• Participant in the Technology Foresight Study commissioned by the Department of Arts, Culture, Science