The main remit of the platforms is to support local innovation in the form of technical support for products, prototypes, diagnostics and drug development. They are equipped with state-of-the-art equipment and are resourced with highly competent individuals in specialized fields to develop new products and processes for industry and R&D led entrepreneurs through serving as technology nurseries. The initiatives are industry driven and aimed at supporting TIA’s strategic objectives.
Platforms are also centres for training of the next generation of technology innovation entrepreneurs through a structured internship programme.
As part of the vision of TIA, the Bioprocessing Platform provides infrastructural and technical support to entrepreneurs with ideas that are microbiology, biotechnology, biochemistry and chemically based. It is located at the Umbogintwini industrial Complex in the south of Durban. Its doors were first opened in 2007 and since then have incubated more than 10 projects. The Platform is available for use by both TIA Funded projects and non-TIA funded projects and addresses the shortage of science entrepreneurs and bioprocess development in South Africa. It does so by providing an environment that is otherwise costly to obtain and maintain, thereby lowering the business risk, both to TIA and the entrepreneurs.
- Laboratory Space
- Technical support
- Capacity Development
- Office Space
- Conference facilities
- The facility is registered under the Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO) Act no. 15 of 1997 to handle GMOs.
- The analytical laboratory is moving towards attaining ISO 17025 accreditation.
- Cooperative interaction with the Platform’s partner network.
- Office and laboratory space configurations that suites the tenant’s confidentiality.
- The administrative building contains amenities to establish business networks, technology and business alliances and an environment to formalize business plans.
|Previously Hosted||Currently Hosted|
|African Yeast (Pty) Ltd||Fermentation Technology Innovation (Pty) Ltd|
|Arvir Technologies (Pty) Ltd||Becker Underwood|
|SA Bioproducts (Pty) Ltd||Enzyme Technologies (Pty) Ltd|
|Bioreactor Engineering cc||SLIEK (Pty) Ltd|
|National Bioproducts Institute|
|Nomakanjani Biotechnologies Intelezi Biotech cc|
|East Coast Rapid Diagnostics|
|Golden Oak Mushrooms (Pty) Ltd|
|Nguni Juice cc|
|Pure Protein Supplies cc|
|Dlondlobala Agricultural Co-operative|
|Institutes of Higher Learning (UKZN, DUT and MUT)|